Located above the Old Capitol Grill at the corner of 12th & Washington, Connects Mercantile opened in June 2018.
The historic Mercantile building, built in 1863, is part of the Loveland Block. When Golden was the capital of the territory of Colorado, this space was the House of Representatives. Representatives gathered right where our community host's desk and the kitchen are today. The surrounding offices housed members of the legislature, committee rooms, and the territorial library.
After the Colorado capital moved to Denver, the building was home to many important groups. Over the years, it was the headquarters of the Colorado Central Railroad, an emergency campus of the Colorado School of Mines, and the Babcock Hotel. It is most commonly remembered as "The Mercantile", the general store that was the lifeblood of Golden for 119 years.